Bereavement advice

At E. C. Gilbert Ltd of Great Glen, we understand that dealing with the death of your loved one is stressful and difficult. Let us help you find out what you need to know.





With you at every step

If death occurs at home
When death takes place at home, contact a kind friend, neighbour or relative to help you.

Inform the doctor
As soon as possible, inform the doctor that death has occurred. He/she may write out the medical certificate of death when he/she visits the house, or may request you attend the surgery for this purpose.

When death occurs in hospital
When death happens in hospital, the procedure is very similar. Apply to the hospital for the medical certificate of death and not your family doctor.

The coroner
In cases where the death has been reported to the coroner, the procedure is somewhat different. The coroner and their officers are working in your interest. No doctor will issue a medical certificate of death. This will be sent by the coroner to the registrar's office in the district where the death occurred, after contact has been made with the coroner's office.

You will want to ensure you honour your loved one. This is where we can support you through every step. We can offer advice on items such as coffins, flowers, funeral transport, catering and funeral planning services. 
Cultural facilities

Death registration process

A close relative of the deceased, a relative in attendance during last illness, a relative living in the district where the death occurred, the person present at the time of death or the person arranging the funeral can register a death.

Details you need to register

You will need to register the date and place of death, full name of deceased, date and place of birth, occupation and home address. If married, full name and occupation of the surviving partner must be documented.
For bereavement advice and assistance with arranging a funeral, call E. C. Gilbert Ltd, Great Glen.

Call 0116 259 2267
Share by: